Saturday, December 3, 2011

Christmas Cheer

  
I heard my brother was sick yesterday so I called him today...
And I haven't laughed that hard in a long time.

We were talking about Christmas
And trees. And decorations.
His girlfriend and her mother were decorating the house for Christmas.
And I had to confess...

I hate Christmas this year.

Maybe it is because of this.
       Or this.
       Or this.

Really.
I feel like a Scrooge. And it's the first time in my life that I've ever felt like this.
         And I'm ok with that.

My brother said that he felt the same way.

         “It's not Christmas, it's the people” he said.

And I mentioned the now infamous pepper-spray incident.

        “Yeah. Merry Effin' Christmas, everybody!!!!” he said... in his cheerful, Happy Gilmore voice.

That's when I started to laugh.
And I couldn't stop.

I'm not sure why mayhem on Christmas should be funny, but
Sometimes,
     laughter
               is
                   the
                       best
                           option.

And we got on the topic of things that really are funny on Christmas.

Like this.
And this.

And laughed some more.

Can you be pissed and laugh at the same time?

Oh, Lord.

I know Christmas wasn't actually Jesus' birthday.

But. Regardless of what it was originally tied to, when did it become the

“It's-ok-to-obliterate-your-neighbor-as-long-as-you-get-what-you-want” Holiday?

Don't give me that, “It's-all-about-the-children” crap. It's never ok to teach children that getting what you want is the highest end no matter the cost... and that's what I sense out there this year.

Please.
I know there's still good in the world. Still kindness. 
    Like people who do this, so that they can do this... or this

But

I don't want the “Christmas spirit.”
I don't want a “Make a Difference Day.”
I definitely don't want Sunday Christianity.

I DO achingly long for people to see that
Peace and
                   Joy and
                           Life and
Love

can't be bought.

Yet they are worth everything. And worth living every day.

The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly.” -Jesus

Lord, have mercy.

No comments:

Post a Comment